Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thai-Style Marinade

I am getting more disciplined about measuring and taking notes! Once we had nearly devoured everything we cooked, we realized we forgot to take a picture. This is exactly the kind of thing you will like, if you like this kind of thing.

Ingredients:
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
6-8 garlic cloves
1/2 shallot (assuming your shallots are huge like mine)
1 heaping tsp fresh ginger zest
2 TBSP curry powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (not too spicy for kids)
2 TBSP brown sugar
Scant 1/4 cup soy sauce
2 generous TBSP sesame oil
2 TBSP lime juice plus zest of 1/2 lime (If your lime has more juice than a measly 2 TBSP, then you could add less zest)
1 tsp molasses (if you have it, but it could be omitted)
1/2 tsp salt
handful fresh cilantro or fresh basil

Put the peanuts in the food processor until they are finely minced. Add all other ingredients and pulse to mix. That's it. It's finished. Marinate something and grill it. You may need to salt to taste at the table. I'm always afraid of over-salting since salt is one of my favorite foods.

We marinated mixed veggies and extra firm tofu for about 30 minutes. Longer would be better. I would suggest 1-2 hours. Also, I'm not really a big fan of tofu (unless it's been pan-fried and the edges are crisp, more another time) so I figured that if this were good on tofu, it would be good on anything. It makes a ton of sauce. I'm thinking I'll simmer something in the leftover and serve it over rice noodles. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment